Sunday, September 30, 2012

Re: Change colour of cursor and matching bracket

On 23:53 Sun 30 Sep , Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> Dominique Pelle wrote:
>
> > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > > Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > >
> > >> On 30.09.12 11:12, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > >> > Where in the fine manual is it mentioned how to change the colour of
> > >> > the cursor and the colour of the matching parenthesis / bracket for
> > >> > all file types? I have tried ":h cursor color" and several other
> > >> > phrases, the only relevant one that I found it "h color" which did not
> > >> > lead me to the answer. I have tried "highlight MatchParen cterm=bold
> > >> > ctermfg=red ctermbg=blue" but this did not change the colour of the
> > >> > matching parenthesis or bracket.
> > >>
> > >> For the cursor, I just set the initial colour in the xterm:
> > >>
> > >> col='-fg yellow -bg darkslategrey -cr red' # Colours
> > >> /usr/bin/xterm $col # and lots more options.
> > >>
> > >> In Vim, I then only change the cursor colour to indicate whether we're
> > >> in insert mode or not, without having to look down at the status bar:
> > >>
> > >> " Cursor Appearance: (Insert_Mode == Green, Normal_Mode == Red)
> > >> if &term =~ "xterm"
> > >> let &t_SI = "\<Esc>]12;green\x7"
> > >> let &t_EI = "\<Esc>]12;red\x7"
> > >> endif
> > >>
> > >> But the method could be used in other contexts, I guess.
> > >>
> > >> As regards MatchParen colouring, I've only made sure that is turned
> > >> off, since it drove me nuts when I tried it. The bouncing cursor is more
> > >> than enough.
> > >
> > > I also use a different cursor color for Insert mode. It's nice, but
> > > recently it has started to cause terminal window flicker. I asked
> > > Thomas Dickey and he blames Ubuntu Compiz. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and
> > > an automatic update about a month ago started the problem. It first
> > > happened after a reboot, one of the updates before that must have caused
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Still don't know how to fix it. It gets a bit annoying. Searching for
> > > Ubuntu screen flicker has many hits, but I haven't spotted the right one
> > > yet.
> >
> >
> > I also use different colors for the cursor in insert mode
> > vs normal mode with xubuntu-12.04 (with all updates)
> > and I have not noticed any flicker. Perhaps you can
> > try whether installing xfce solves your flicker issue:
> >
> > 1/ sudo apt-get update
> > 2/ sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
> > 3/ Log out.
> > 4/ Select xfce to login
> >
> > I remember having very slow refresh and flicker
> > in vim a long time ago, and solved it at the time
> > by installing the latest Nvidia driver.
>
> I'm using ATI/AMD. I tried installing their proprietery driver.
> Resulted in my desktop being 640 x 480 :-( Then running the
> display manager to change the resulution has the OK button off-screen.
> AAAaaaargggg! Managed to hit it by pressing Tab the right number of
> times.
>
> Well, the flicker is less, it's just so short now that it is hardly
> noticeable. But the flicker is still there.
>
> --
> Sorry, no fortune today.
>
> /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
> /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\ an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org ///
> \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///

The flickering seems to be not just Ubuntu problem. I am running Gentoo
and can observe it here. As a terminal I use uxterm (version 279).

Best regards,
Marcin

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: