Saturday, February 23, 2013

Re: Having trouble activating the matchit plugin

On 2013-02-22, cjsmall wrote:
> [I am subscribed to this group and get daily posts. I tried to email
> this post to vim@vim.org (as the community page states) and it bounced
> back without any specifically helpful info. What's wrong? Has the
> email address changed to vim_use@vim.org or could it be something
> else? Thanks.]
>
> I'm using CSW build of vim 7.3 on a Solaris 10 SPARC system.
>
> I would like to use the matchit plugin that ships with vim. I read
> the instructions, copied the matchit.txt and matchit.vim files from
> the system macros directory to my ~/.vim/doc and ~/.vim/plugin
> directories. I can read the matchit documentation with :help matchit,
> but vim will not jump to matching HTML tags or C keywords using "%".
> I have tried everything in the docs and have searched the internet for
> advice. It appears that many other people have the same problem, but
> none of the suggestions I found work for them or for me.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? Thanks for any help you can
> offer.

With Vim 7.3.646 on an Ubuntu Linux system, I went to a directory
containing an HTML file and executed the following (one line).

view -N -u NONE --cmd 'let &rtp = $VIMRUNTIME' --cmd 'filetype plugin on' --cmd 'runtime macros/matchit.vim' index.html

That used only the stock files that come with Vim. I could use % to
jump between the beginning and ending <html>, <head>, <body> and all
the other tags I tried, so the matchit plugin worked fine for me.

Try that and see how it works. If it doesn't work, there is
apparently something lacking in that version or installation of Vim.
If it does work, then there is something wrong with the way you have
tried to enable the matchit plugin.

HTH,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: