Wednesday, November 23, 2016

python search regex

A time ago, I asked if it possible to add python regex to vim.
No one answered that question.

VIM is a great editor and the use of Vimscript makes it even better.
Then I started to learn Python and noted that Bram has integrated Python in Vim.
I transformed many scripts from Vimscript to Python.
I noted that the things you want to do in vimscript, you can do the same thing in Python with 30/40% less lines.

There is much more info on line about python and much more people who can help you to resolve a problem.
Many things that you can do easier in Python.
Number manipulations, range with float step (using Numpy) etc.
And what about list manipulations? It is so easy in Python.
Putting all your buffer lines in a python list and you can do magic with your text in the buffer.

But what I miss and why I have to mix my functions with vimscript, is the python regex to search things in the buffer.
If I want to catch certain things in the text I have to search it using vimscript. It would be much easier if I could use also the python regex.

Would this be possible in a future vim release?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: