Thursday, July 28, 2011

Re: A modern look for gvim (win32)

Since we're talking about this, I have a somewhat related question..

If backwards compatibility was not an issue at all, what would be
changed in vim? How many people would prefer it if at some point
there was a significant break from current codebase and vimL would
be changed to something similar to ruby or python, even if that
broke ALL currently available scripts, maybe there was a split into
separate terminal and gui versions that would share some libraries.
I think I'd be in favor of all of that even though I realize it
won't happen.

But it's interesting to discuss which things are being kept because
people use them and like them and what's being kept exclusively for
backwards compatibility.

Sorry if this was discussed to death before, I don't think I've
seen this raised and quick googling turns up nothing.

-ak


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: