Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Re: Display messed up

On 2012-01-31 Tim Chase <vim@tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> On 01/31/12 14:58, Marco wrote:
> > http://i42.tinypic.com/23l84x.png
>
> My first suspicions are: possibly a corrupted font file,
> possibly a corrupted termcap database, or perhaps a bad
> memory chip (or some other hardware in the picture).

I can't tell you why, but I have the strong feeling that
it's not a hardware issue.

> > A workaround is to resize the window. Then immediately
> > the file is displayed correctly.
>
> does using either ":redraw" or ":redraw!" also refresh
> dthe isplay correctly?

No, neither of the commands does.

> So when you mentioned changing the font manifest the
> behavior, that was your terminal font, not 'guifont' in
> gvim, right?

Yes, I'm talking about the terminal font. As I said gvim
is not affected.

> Do you have similar issues in other full-screen console
> applications when using the same "bad" font(s)? (could
> it be a corrupted font file?)

No, only vim makes trouble. All other applications work
fine.

> What are these offending fonts named?

Hmm… good question. My .Xresources file says:

Rxvt.font: xft:Mono:pixelsize=13

I'm not quite sure. fc-list outputs no font names "Mono",
but it could be FreeMono.ttf

> Also, what is $TERM set to...both within Vim and outside
> Vim? Does the problem persist if you start vim with
> something like

outside vim: TERM=rxvt-unicode
inside vim: TERM=xterm-256color

I also changed TERM to xterm-256color, without success.

> bash$ TERM=dummy vim file.txt
>
> to force a bogus termcap entry?

Yes, this helps. I did a few tests and it works fine.

> Does this persist over a reboot? (if the Vim executable
> is getting cached in RAM and it's a bad chip, a reboot
> might allocate it at a different location)

Yes, it's persistent.

> I don't know if the answers to any of my questions will
> lead anywhere, but hopefully they'll shed a little light
> on some of the areas that might be at issue.

I thank you a lot for your creative thoughts. As I
mentioned, setting the TERM to "dummy" helps. But I have
no idea why. Is this the solution of just a workaround
that doesn't trigger the weird behaviour?

Regards

Marco


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: