Saturday, January 28, 2012

Re: Redhat Linux has crippled Vim

On 28/01/12 16:43, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> [...] if you install gvim, then set up a symlink named "vim" pointing
>> to it [...]
>>
>> [...] For instance in bash, after installing gvim, you would do
>>
>> pushd ~/bin
>> ln -sv `which gvim` vim
>> popd
>
> Why the pushd/popd? This is more straightforward:
>
> ln -sv `which gvim` ~/bin/vim
>

Why? Because the link target, as named in the link, is always relative
to the directory of the link. By having that directory current when
creating the link I find I make fewer errors. In this case it doesn't
matter, since the link points to an absolute path; but by making it a
rule never to create links except in the current directory I have found
that when it does matter I "naturally" give the right operands.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"I had to censor everything my sons watched ... even on the Mary Tyler
Moore show I heard the word 'damn'!"
-- Mary Lou Bax

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: