Monday, January 30, 2012

Re: [vim] Problem with `inoremap jj '

On 2012-01-30, Clark J. Wang wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 15:38, Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> On 2012-01-29, Clark J. Wang wrote:
> > On Monday, January 30, 2012 2:56:37 PM UTC+8, Gary Johnson wrote:
> >
> > On 2012-01-29, Clark J. Wang wrote:
> > > As recommended by other people I have 'inoremap jj <ESC>' defined
> in my
> > vimrc
> > > and it works well for most of the time.
> > >
> > > A few days ago when I copy-n-paste a lot of text into vim, the
> result was
> > > always wrong. It took me quite a while before I figured out that
> there
> > was a
> > > substring "jj" included in the text to be pasted. For now I often
> :set
> > paste
> > > before copying large text to avoid unexpected behavior.
> >
> > How are you copy-n-pasting? If you are using a vim with the X11 and
> > xterm-clipboard features enabled, have mouse=a, and are pasting with
> > a mouse in a suitable terminal such as GNOME Terminal or xterm, Vim
> > will detect that you are pasting and disable mappings.
> >
> >
> > I usually use vim without X11 from a terminal and the TERM var may be set
> to
> > linux (for Linux), dtterm (for Solaris), xterm-color (for OS X) or screen
> > (within GNU screen).
>
> What do you mean by "a terminal"? Are you not in an X11
> environment, or are you just using a vim without X11?
>
>
> By "terminal" I mean a "pseudo terminal" opened by PuTTY when I ssh to a
> server. I seldom use X11 enviroment for work and I use gvim only on Windows. :)

Oh, PuTTY. Now I understand. I've never been able to configure
PuTTY to behave like a real xterm--I'm not sure it's even possible--
but I seldom use it in a situation where I need to copy and paste so
I'm not very motivated. When I have to paste, I do what you've
done: :set paste; paste; :set nopaste.

> I've never used dtterm--I just built
> xterm for Solaris.
>
>
> Could you tell me how to build xterm for Solaris? I find TERM=xterm does not
> work well by default on Solaris 11 and TERM=dtterm works fine.

From my notes (from 2005), it was pretty simple:

cd /home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/xterm-165
tar zxf xterm.tar.gz
cd xterm-165/
./configure --prefix=/home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/xterm-165
make
ln -s /home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/xterm-165/xterm-165/xterm ~/bin

I wasn't allowed to install anything in the official places on that
system.

The Solaris system I used also did not support color xterms, so
there were no color xterm terminfo entries. I installed xterm's
terminfo entries under TERMINFO=$HOME/terminfo. An easier solution
may be to put the proper terminfo/termcap definitions in your
~/.vimrc.

Regards,
Gary

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: