Sunday, January 29, 2012

Update on my search for a radhat VIM

Hi All, I've been corresponding with Tony Mechelynck, who has helped
a lot. I did not want to bother the whole group with this problem. But
Tony suggested I let you all help. It appears, Redhat and Fedora have
3 rpm packages for vim - minimal, enhanced, and gvim for X-!!. The
`enhanced' is not very enhanced, and a decent set of compiled features
comes, only with gvim. I'm told gvim will, in fact, run on console
mode, so finding a functional gvim will solve my problem.

I'm looking for a binary gvim that will work on a university computer
that has installed this Redhat:
L
inux ubunix02.acsu.buffalo.edu 2.6.18-274.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Nov 8
21:37:35 EST 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

For some reason this installation came with this vim:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Aug 4 2010 07:21:53)
Included patches: 1, 3-4, 7-9, 11, 13-17, 19-26, 29-31, 34-44, 47,
50-56, 58-64, 66-73, 75, 77-92, 94-107, 109, 202, 234-237

I do not have root privileges to run make, install, yum, the compiler
or other tools to build from source. So I've been searching for the
prebuilt binaries that come with RPM's (which I can install).
Principally, I've used rpmfind.net/ and http://rpm.pbone.net/ to
search. I've found the latter had outdated entries. It lists files
that are no longer in the archives and mirrors, when I check. When I
do find a package and install it, it usually does not run and
complains about missing some shared library or other. This all seems
to depend on what versions of what files the sysad people have
installed in what directories.I've assumed that only rpm packages
designed for fedora or redhat will work, but perhaps others (e.g.,
Open SuSe ?) might work as well. I am new to the world of redhat
packages. My travail started when this university switched from Sun's
version of Unix to Redhat, recently.

So - any ideas on finding a gvim binary that might work on this
system? Pointers to additional repositories might help.
I already have the common fines, runtime scripts etc. for vim.
Thanks in advance.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: