Saturday, August 25, 2012

Re: Typing "â" problem

On 08/25/12 15:45, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 04:01:49PM EDT, Tim Chase wrote:
>> On 08/25/12 14:52, Fernando Basso wrote:
>>> I have been facing an issue that when I type ā, like in the word
>>> "Parāmetro", either the cursor jumps somewhere else in the file, or
>>> the ā is just not inserted and I see only "Parmetro". If I do Ctrl-V
>>> ā then it works.
>>
>> Depending on the environment and your terminal encodings, the ā
>> character may also map to some <alt+{char}> (or <meta+{char}>
>> depending on how it's created), so in addition to searching for a
>> mapping directly to ā, also check to see if the behavior of an
>> alt/meta combination is in play.
>
> But that's no excuse for substituting ā's (U+0101) for the OP's â's
> (U+00E2).. or did you..? or is it another instance of Google groups
> misbehaving..? ;-)

I suspect Google Groups misbehavior. Checking the OP's message and
my sent-mail folder, they both have a-hat, not a-macron. My
outbound was encoded in ISO-8859-1 and your reply came in as UTF-8,
so somewhere between here and there my a-hat became an a-macron

I'm replying in UTF-8 according to Thunderbird, so here's hoping this:

â

properly comes out as an a-hat rather than the a-macron.

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: