Wednesday, March 31, 2010

calling dictionary functions with call()

Hello,
I'm hoping to call a "static" dictionary function using call(). By
"static" I mean that the keyword 'dict' is not used in the function's
definition. I use this nomenclature in the hopes that the effect of
this keyword is to declare a static member function as is possible in
java/C++/etc, ie to restrict the scope of the function name without
requiring it to be associated with an object. However this doesn't
seem to work. For example:

" Setup:
let testdict = { }
funct! testdict.funct()
echo "called"
endfunct

" Tests:
" Following each line is an indented comment containing its
output in message land, ie what was echoed.
call testdict.funct()
" called
echo testdict.funct
" 667
echo string(testdict.funct)
" function('667')
echo function('667')
" E475: Invalid argument: 667
echo function('testdict.funct')
" testdict.funct
call call(testdict.funct, [ ])
" E725: Calling dict function without Dictionary: 667

" Same deal if there's an intermediate variable involved.
let TestdictDotFunct = testdict.funct
echo TestdictDotFunct
" 667
echo string(TestdictDotFunct)
" function('667')
call TestdictDotFunct()
" E725: Calling dict function without Dictionary: 667

From the help topic *E725*:
It is also possible to add a function without the "dict" attribute
as a
Funcref to a Dictionary, but the "self" variable is not available
then.

So logic would seem to indicate that if "self" is not available, then
it should be possible to call the function referenced by the Funcref
without a Dictionary. However this doesn't seem to be the case. Am I
missing something?


Vim version info:

$ aptitude show vim-gnome
Package: vim-gnome
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2:7.2.245-2ubuntu2

$ vim --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Sep 21 2009 11:22:21)
Included patches: 1-245
Compiled by buildd@crested.buildd
Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
+cindent
+clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
+cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -
ebcdic
+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
+find_in_path
+float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv
+insert_expand
+jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds
+localmap
+menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec
+mouse_gpm
-mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm
+multi_byte
+multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl
+postscript
+printer +profile +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby
+scrollbind
+signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
+tag_binary
+tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse
+textobjects +title
+toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra
+viminfo
+vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 -xfontset
+xim
+xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -
D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/
include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/
include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/
usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/
include -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/
libgnomeui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/
include/gnome-keyring-1 -I/usr/include/libgnome-2.0 -I/usr/include/
libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/
gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -
I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/
include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/
include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/
include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gail-1.0 -I/
usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/
include -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/
directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -Wall -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT -
D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/lib/perl/5.10/CORE -I/usr/include/
python2.6 -pthread -I/usr/include/tcl8.4 -D_REENTRANT=1 -
D_THREAD_SAFE=1 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-
linux
Linking: gcc -L. -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -rdynamic -Wl,-export-
dynamic -Wl,-E -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -
latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -
lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0
-lglib-2.0 -lgnomeui-2 -lbonoboui-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lgnomecanvas-2 -
lgnome-2 -lpopt -lbonobo-2 -lbonobo-activation -lORBit-2 -lart_lgpl_2 -
lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -
lpangocairo-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -
lgconf-2 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lgmodule-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -
lXt -lncurses -lselinux -lacl -lgpm -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/
lib/perl/5.10/CORE -lperl -L/usr/lib/python2.6/config -lpython2.6 -L/
usr/lib -lz -lutil -Xlinker -export-dynamic -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-
functions -L/usr/lib -ltcl8.4 -lieee -lruby1.8 -lrt -lm

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.

No comments: