Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why is there no :foldupdate?

Hi,

sometimes I am using fold expressions to simply hide away unwanted
parts. Usually this boils down to
:set fdm=expr fde=getline(v:lnum)!~getreg('/',1)

While this works fine, it is only limited to whatever was in register @/
when this setting was entered. Now this leaves an interesting question:
When are 'foldexpr' reevaluated (are they at all)? Reading :h fold.txt
does not mentioned when the fold expressions are reevaluated and folds
are updated (or I might have missed it).

Now the obvious cure to this is to reenter the foldexpression. So if I
am searching for a different term, I need to enter
:set fde=getline(v:lnum)!~getreg('/',1)
and the folds will be updated.

Of course, I could define my own :Foldupdate like this:
:com! Foldupdate :exe "set fde=".&fde

But this looks so fundamental, that I am wondering, whether I am the
only one who is missing :foldupdate. Does anybody else think so? Or am I
missing something obvious?

PS: Looking at the source, it does not seem too hard, to define an extra
:foldupdate command. Does that sound like a reasonable idea? I could
prepare a patch for this, if there is interest.

regards,
Christian

(Actually, I'd really like an RegisterChanged autocommand event, which
could trigger an :foldupdate)

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.

No comments: