Monday, August 30, 2010

Re: WIN7 Can not set vim 7.3 as default program

Steve Hall wrote:
>> I suppose some work with the NSIS installer config would allow an
>> option (default?) to registerVimduring install?
> Extremely easy to do this (two lines), but I'd need
> overwhelming support here for me to add it since:
> * ThedefaultViminstaller doesn't do this. (Somebody?)
> * It is bad behavior for an installer to modify OS defaults.
> * It is bad behavior for an installer to modify OS defaults without
>   first warning.
> * It is bad behavior for an installer to modify OS defaults without
>   first warning, bydefault...
> * ...so, we would put this in a "custom" option that a user would have
>   to specifically select. But then it's not bydefault, even if
>   someone picks "Full".
> * It is already super-easy to right-click on a .txt file, pick "Open
>   With...", and selectVim. Same as with any other association, and
>   the "correct" way to modify an OSdefaultIMO.

I think you're misunderstanding the problem. At least for me, I
_cannot_ change the "Open With..." setting. GVim never appears on that
list, whereas it used to with earlier versions. Vim does not appear on
that list, even if I browse to gvim.exe and select it.

On Aug 27, 3:21 am, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then, I did this:
> InWindowsExplorer, right click a file (say 'my.txt').
> Choose Open With, ChooseProgram.
> You may need to choose "Select theprogramfrom a list".
> Browse and select gvim.exe under the directory where it was installed.
> Choose "Always use the selectedprogramto open this kind of file".
> Now, whenever I double click a *.txt file, it opens inVim.
>
> Unfortunately, when I did this I mistakenly chose "vim.exe"
> rather than "gvim.exe", and my patience ran out before I could
> find an easy way to correct this (as I mentioned, onWindowsI
> do not use Explorer or file associations).

At least for me, vim.exe works can be associated with files. gvim.exe
can not. I tried the registry change above, and that didn't seem to
help either.

--jkerian

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: