Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Re: German Umlaut "ä" not working

On 05/07/11 11:27, Asis Hallab wrote:
> Dear Vimers,
>
> I experience a strange behaviour in Vim.
> I cannot type the German-Umlaut "ä" any more,
> while the other two Umlauts still work.
> This is only true, if I start vim with my .vimrc,
> loading my plug-ins using pathogen.
> If I start vim with
> vim -u NONE
> the Umlaut works.
>
> As I haven't been writing German texts in a long while,
> I do not know, which of my lately installed plug-ins causes this.
>
> If I review ma mappings with :map the first two rows show:
> "
> s ä @<Esc>ä
> n ä *@:exec 'silent! normal '.<SNR>40_SwitchRegion()<CR>
> "
> Could that be the cause of the problem?
> - But doesn't the "s" in the first row's first column mean,
> that this is a select-mode-mapping?
>
> How do I know, which plug-in defines the above mapping.
> A grep -R ä * in my plug-in-dir yields no results.
>
> Please help!
> Kind regards!
> Asis
>

You've solved your problem, but here is (maybe) some insight into the
solution:

To Vim, ä (OxE4) is the same as Alt-d (0x80+0x64), so even if there is
no mapping explicitly to ä, some plugin could interfere if it maps
something to Alt-d, i.e. <A-d> or more usually <M-d>

Morality: Never map Alt-letter to anything in Insert mode (or in Select
mode, where you would expect the selection to be replaced by the next
letter you type) because it would probably conflict with accented
letters. Even in English, accented letters are sometimes used in
(usually foreign) words like risqué, garçon, à la française,


Best regards,
Tony.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: