Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Re: A modern look for gvim (win32)

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 01:11 -0700, Tobbe Lundberg wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:17:35 AM UTC+2, Steve wrote:
> >
> > As the author of Cream, I'm very interested in gVim having a few
> > more OS-standard widgets.
>
> How interested? Interested enough to help me implement it?

Unfortunately I can't write C which is at least 98% of the project. :)

But I'd happily contribute vimscript, test builds, bash scripts,
graphics, and whatever else might be useful. (I've put 10 years of
this on Cream.)

> > 2. Multiple platform implementation. Windows-only doesn't cut it.
> > Many Vim users need similar features across at least Windows and
> > Linux/Gnome/GTK.
>
> Windows is my only desktop OS, so that's the only implementation that
> I'm personally in need of. But a GTK implementation would absolutely
> be a good thing to have!

Finding an interested developer will be important.

> > 3. Self-motivated developer(s). Given the current expectations of
> > the community, there won't be much support for advanced GUI
> > features.
>
> Why do you think that would be the case?

In my experience here, it's hard for others to help until a patch is
nearly complete. Once there is something buildable and testable, more
input is available. You'll have to scratch your own itch first!

I hope this doesn't discourage you, I'd love to see these developments
happen and have been an outstanding proponent here for GUI/modern
features several times in the past. While you may not find a lot of
direct support, I think most features are generally accepted by the
community if they are modular, don't impact any of Vim's current
feature set, and have been developed in good style without bugs.

--
Steve Hall [ digitect dancingpaper com ]


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: