Wednesday, September 28, 2011

anoying horiz scroll when scrolling down

Hi,

I'd like to get rid of an annoying behaviour of vim which happens sometimes when scrolling down.

I have a text file with alternately long and short lines. I want to scroll down the file, while keeping an eye on the "right part" of the long lines (wrap is disabled, so 1 text line is displayed on one screen line, and I have scrolled horizontally the text a little bit, to see the end of the long lines).

What happens when I scroll down, is that the cursor is following along. The problem occurs when the cursor jumps to a short line (which is now out of the screen, because I am scrolled to the right) and vim scrolls me back to the left so that cursor remains in the screen.

This is incredibly annoying since I have to scroll to the right again.

I'd really love some hints about how to get rid of this behaviour. I have searched a little bit around, and found that it is not possible to make the cursor not follow the lines (trying to stay on the screen), mainly because vim is a terminal app.

Cheers,
Razvan

No comments: