Tuesday, March 2, 2010

RE: can I configure the "default" commands?

Jorge Timón wrote:
> Thank you very much. index.txt is what I needed, althought it
> seems to be bigger than I first thought.
> So I can just map "on top" of this default settings, being
> careful of what mode I'm mapping to.
> I guess I'll just map keys in normal mode anyway.
> if I want to map, for example, u to k and k to l, what should
> be the order? Can I do that?
> In this case, I've hide the "Undo" function, since the u key
> will perform the "Up" function (I don't know if it's correct
> to call them functions, but I think you understand me).
> Is there a way to know if you've hide any key after mapping?
> Have the keys in index an equivalent Ex command?

At this page:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_documentation

is a "Keyboard cheat sheet and tutorial" link to:
http://www.viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical_cheat_sheet_tutorial.html

which is an excellent summary of the meaning of the normal-mode
keys. There is also ':help normal-index' which is on index.txt
mentioned above.

I understand you have some issues with your keyboard, but I will
give some frank advice: It is a total mistake to hope to improve
on the default meanings of the normal-mode keys. You will not
come up with an improvement, and will only hinder learning how
to properly use Vim.

John

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: