Thursday, August 26, 2010

Re: Error running Windows gvim.exe from Cygwin

On 2010-08-26, Gary Johnson wrote:
> I can run Vim 7.3f from a Cygwin 1.5 bash prompt like this:
>
> $ /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim73f/gvim.exe
>
> but when I try to run Vim 7.3.2 from a Cygwin 1.7 bash prompt the
> same way, i.e.,
>
> $ /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim73/gvim.exe
>
> I get a DOS window with "C:\Program Files\Vim\vim73\vimrun.exe" in
> the title bar and this text in the window:
>
> /bin/bash /c <symlink> /
> The system cannot find the file specified.
> shell returned 1
> Hit any key to close this window...
>
> When I hit Enter, a pop-up window from Vim appears, titled "Message"
> and containing this text:
>
> :!<symlink>**/*
>
> and an "Ok" button, where the first * is actually a y with an
> umlaut, the second * is some character that looks like a b and a p
> sharing the same circle part, and the third * is an open square.
>
> I can test the Cygwin 1.5 / Vim 7.3.2 combination a little later.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going on and how it can be fixed?

Update:

I noticed that when gvim 7.3.2 finally came up, none of the settings
in my vimrc had been applied even though :scriptnames said ~/.vimrc
had been read.

I think this may be a PEBKAC.

Each of the three PCs on which I use Cygwin has a slightly different
Cygwin configuration, primarily different versions of Cygwin and
different locations for $HOME. In short, on some of the systems,
executing gvim.exe from the Cygwin shell causes gvim.exe to try to
read a ~/.vimrc that is a Cygwin symlink. Gvim 7.3f silently fails
to read ~/.vimrc, whereas gvim 7.3.2 throws the error message
described above. Executing gvim like this works.

( unset HOME; /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim73/gvim.exe; )

Now I just need to figure out if that's the solution I want.

Regards,
Gary

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: