Saturday, August 21, 2010

Re: i really think the moderating is insulting to say the least

On 18/08/10 11:33, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
> Saluton aleCodd :)
>
> aleCodd<3...@gmail.com> skribis:
>> ive been a user for months and even helped out many times, i dont see
>> any justification that i have to wait days before my messages get
>> approved.. for example now i posted a question and i wanted to reply
>> to somebody help but guess what? i have to wait another day for this
>> message to go through..so i would be able hopefully get an answer by
>> the end of the year...
>>
>> stop the insanity!!!
>
> To tell the truth, I was not going to reply to this thread, but I've
> changed my mind. From the subject of your post I deduce you feel
> insulted by the moderators. I'm one of them, so imagine how do *I* feel
> after reading your message.
>
> You don't see any justification for your posts to wait days. Well, I'll
> give you some, although I haven't seen a request in the moderation queue
> for more than a few hours.
>
> For a start, moderators do this for free, on our spare time. And I'm not
> talking for myself, certainly, as I am the moderator that does less
> work. John manages the Vim Wiki and helps in the list. Tony... what can
> I say about Tony: I don't think there is a member of this list that has
> not been helped by Tony at some point. And still, John and Tony spend
> additional time to deal with this list spam so all members can enjoy a
> spam-free mailing list. Do you really think you can ask for more?
>
> In addition to this, we simply cannot be connected and aware of new
> moderation requests at any time. We have a life outside this list and
> sometimes we are not connected. Tony and me, we share the timezone, so
> probably we are connected and processing requests at the same hours.
> Tony does this much more than me, specially lately because I've been
> having problems with my computer. John is almost in the opposite side of
> the globe, so he works while we are sleeping. But sometimes nobody is
> connected and processing requests, so messages take a bit more of time
> to reach the list.
>
> But anyway, this is not very frequent, as if someone posts a legitimate
> message, that user is whitelisted and not moderated, except in very
> particular situations. So most of the time we have mail from new, still
> moderated members, or spam. If you posted in the past, you probably were
> whitelisted with some email address. Not the one you're using now,
> certainly, because Tony had to moderate your messages.
>
> So, putting the blame on the moderation system is, at best, a very
> uninformed opinion. At worst, an offense to the moderators. Not me,
> certainly, because I couldn't care less about your opinions, but people
> like John and Tony, that give a humongous amount of their little spare
> time to the list, with no retribution except the feeling of community.
>
> It's good you got your replies before the end of the year (just four
> and a half months to go of margin, *that's* tight), so in my very humble
> opinion, you should apologize to John and Tony. Don't bother to do the
> same with me, as I told you I don't give a darn about you or your
> opinions: you got Vim for free, the list for free, human spam filtering
> for free, and you still want more...
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at you, I'm not even angry, because
> there are much more important problems in life, it's only that I don't
> think it's fair to write such an insulting message directed to the
> people that give the most to the Vim community (and again, that doesn't
> include me: I only do a minor fraction of the work that John and Tony
> do).
>
> Think about it, and if you think the same as me and feel like that, post
> an apologize to John and Tony, please.
>
> And thanks to all the members that supported the moderators, really :)
>

Speaking for myself (obviously I cannot speak for John), I don't need an
apology.

I think the OP made an honest mistake, not knowing how much spam the
moderators block, and I tried to enlighten him/her. Sure it's
frustrating when you send a post and it doesn't come back for hours,
especially if it's your first post: you may then be in doubt as to
whether you were correctly subscribed.

I for one would certainly prefer it as it was in the first few days (or
weeks?) after switching to Google groups, with no moderation and no
spam, or hardly any. But the spammers found out, and we had to lock the
gate, putting new subscribers on a sort of grey list until their first
post(s) let moderators decide that they deserve either whitelisting or
blacklisting. This change of policy was successful, in that we get
practically no spam on the list, but it is of course more
manpower-intensive than an unmoderated list would be. If you (aleCodd)
want to see what happens when a group is unmoderated (and has been for a
long time), you may for instance take a look at
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.apps.calendar . After you do,
I don't think you'll still be lobbying to get that kind of crap on the
Vim groups.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
If life is a stage, I want some better lighting.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: