Saturday, August 21, 2010

Re: Typing accents

On 17/08/10 04:56, Alessandro Antonello wrote:
>> Пнд, 16 Авг 2010, Alessandro Antonello писал(а):
>>> Hi, all.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I download and install the new Vim version 7.3 and I started facing
>>> some kind of problem when typing accent characters like single quote, double
>>> quote, tilde, back tick and circunflex. The problem seams randomly because I
>>> didn't get how is the logical sequence yet.
>>>
>>> I am using Windows XP SP3 and my LANG environment variable is setted as
>>> 'en_US' (my Windows is in English) but my locale on Windows is Brazilian
>>> Portuguese. I use a US international keyboard layout so to type those
>>> characters I need two keystrokes: ("<Space>) for the double quote,
>>> ('<Space>) for single quote, (~<Space>) for tilde, (`<Space>) for back tick
>>> and (^<Space>) for circunflex.
>>>
>>> To me it seams that Vim/gVim is expecting some accented character after the
>>> accent and completly ignoring the<space> key. I saw that after the<space> if
>>> I type any other key except the<backspace> the accent character is printed.
>>> For example, if I type the following sequence:
>>>
>>> "<Space>" - the output is: ""
>>>
>>> "<Space><Backspace><space><Space>a - the output is: ä
>>>
>>> So the accent is kept in the imput buffer until another key is pressed. But
>>> spaces and backspaces are ignored.
>>>
>>> What I tried to do was chaging my vimrc and gvimrc to not load any of my
>>> mappings or functions. No effect. I also try loading vim without any plugin
>>> using the command line -u NONE. Also no effect.
>>>
>>> Some one has an idea about what is happening?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Alessandro Antonello
>>
>> Does it work if type the character twice, eg "" '' ``
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> ====================================================
>> GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24
>> gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 4434BAB3
>>
>> --
>> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
>> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
>> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
>>
>
> If typed twice they appear twice. The first character is kept in the
> input buffer, when the second is typed vim/gvim prints both. The same
> happens if you type different sequences like "' (double quote followed
> by single quote), or ^` (circumflex followed by back tick). Just
> doesn't work the way always worked. I mean, not all the times, the
> problem seams ramdonly, appearing most of times, but not all.
>

This sounds typical of a mapping. Try

:verbose map "
:verbose map! "
:verbose lmap "

(you may try entering the double-quote as Ctrl-V followed by 034 to
bypass the possible mapping). (Use Ctrl-Q instead of Ctrl-V if your
Ctrl-V is remapped to the paste operation.)

Another possibility is locale conflict. I'm not sure what you mean by
saying "$LANG is en_US but my locale is Brazilian Portuguese". When you
start Vim as

vim -u NONE
or
gvim -u NONE

what does it reply to

:language ctype

? I imagine any of the following as possible, but I think they are not
equivalent. Some are more "Windows-like", others are more "Unix-like",
and I don't think that all of them will "actually work" on a single
computer system:

en_US
en_US.UTF-8
English_United States
English_United States.1252
English_United States.10646
pt_BR
pt_BR.UTF-8
Portuguese_Brazil
Portuguese_Brazil.1252
Portuguese_Brazil.10646

(If Vim tells you that your ctype language is "English_United" without
"States" then something has gone wrong somewhere.)


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: