Monday, August 23, 2010

Re: Typing accents

Hi, Tony.

Sorry for the delay to answer. I actually downgrade my Vim to 7.2 again. I am
in a project dead line and could not stop to check this issue. I'm planning to
do that the next weekend.

> This sounds typical of a mapping. Try
>
>        :verbose map "
>        :verbose map! "
>        :verbose lmap "
>
> (you may try entering the double-quote as Ctrl-V followed by 034 to bypass
> the possible mapping). (Use Ctrl-Q instead of Ctrl-V if your Ctrl-V is
> remapped to the paste operation.)

I tried that when first saw the issue. Those commands output nothing. By the
way, in the command line typing any of the characters ", ', ~, or ^ DOES work
fine.


> Another possibility is locale conflict. I'm not sure what you mean by saying
> "$LANG is en_US but my locale is Brazilian Portuguese". When you start Vim
> as
>
>        vim -u NONE
> or
>        gvim -u NONE
>
> what does it reply to
>
>        :language ctype
>
> ? I imagine any of the following as possible, but I think they are not
> equivalent. Some are more "Windows-like", others are more "Unix-like", and I
> don't think that all of them will "actually work" on a single computer
> system:
>
>        en_US
>        en_US.UTF-8
>        English_United States
>        English_United States.1252
>        English_United States.10646
>        pt_BR
>        pt_BR.UTF-8
>        Portuguese_Brazil
>        Portuguese_Brazil.1252
>        Portuguese_Brazil.10646
>
> (If Vim tells you that your ctype language is "English_United" without
> "States" then something has gone wrong somewhere.)

I though that too, I use a environment variable LANG setted as en_US so that
some applications doesn't get translated automatically. Some translations are
really bad. The first release of Vim 7.2 had an issue about the mode messages
in the command window when translated to Portuguese. Specifically with accented
characters and cedilla. Because of that I put in my _vimrc the command
'language en_US'. This was actually removed and only the 'LANG' environment
variable was enough to prevent Vim from translate the menus and messages. By
the way the current output of 'language ctype' is "C".

In a last try I put only the 7.3 binaries in the folder where I have the 7.2
version. The problems seams to be gone which lead me to think that this
problem resides in one script or plugin in the new release. But I can't say
this for sure. I will try to solve this in the next weekend.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Alessandro Antonello

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: