Friday, August 27, 2010

Re: vim and encryption

Hi!

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > I'd like to use vim to keep an encrypted file of sensitive data.
> > I'm aware of the implications of keyloggers, exchanged binaries
> > and the fact that my text file is still unencrypted in memory
> > (and may even go to disk if it's large enough to be swapped).
>
> Have a look at the gnupg plugin ;)

When I was still using GnuPG 1.x, I used that plugin and I liked
it very much. Unfortunately, GnuPG 2.x wants to employ en
external program to ask for the passphrase (usually pinentry).
Since I most often use this encrypted-file functionality
remotely, I can't use pinentry-qt or -gtk, having to rely on
pinentry-curses. But if I want to use that in conjunction with
the GnuPG plugin, pinentry and vim start fighting over the
terminal and it either doesn't work at all or my passphrase is
echoed back to me. I tried finding a solution for this a few
years back (when I swichted to GnuPG 2.x) but never found one.
And no, using gpg-agent is not an option (for sundry other
reasons).

Regards,
Tobias

--
Sent from aboard the Culture ship
LOU (Killer Class) Attitude Adjuster

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: