Wednesday, August 25, 2010

vim and encryption

Hey,

I was really happy to read that newer Vims (i.e. 7.3) include
Blowfish encryption, which is markedly more secure than what vim
used to use (the pkzip thing).

I'd like to use vim to keep an encrypted file of sensitive data.
I'm aware of the implications of keyloggers, exchanged binaries
and the fact that my text file is still unencrypted in memory
(and may even go to disk if it's large enough to be swapped).

All that said, I'd still like to use it this way. What I have
been unable to accomplish is keeping vim from writing a viminfo
file. At first I tried this in vimrc:

if exists("key")
let viminfo=""
endif

This does not work. Also, using "set noviminfo" and "let
viminfo=n/dev/null" won't work either. In all cases, my edit
commands were recallable after quitting vim and starting it
again.

What can I do? The help page doesn't mention any other variable I
could check.

Regards & TIA,
Tobias

PS: Also, the Notes section at the end of the encryption help
text probably should be changed, it currently reads:

"""
- The algorithm used is breakable. A 4 character key in about one hour, a 6
character key in one day (on a Pentium 133 PC). This requires that you know
some text that must appear in the file. An expert can break it for any key.
When the text has been decrypted, this also means that the key can be
revealed, and other files encrypted with the same key can be decrypted.
- Pkzip uses the same encryption, and US Govt has no objection to its export.
Pkzip's public file APPNOTE.TXT describes this algorithm in detail.
"""

This does not reflect the newly available Blowfish encryption. I
can write up a patch for this passage if that is desired.

--
Sent from aboard the Culture ship
GSV (Plate Class) The Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: