Sunday, September 18, 2011

Re: Setting the bold attribute for "Normal" text"

On Sep 18, 3:59 pm, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 9:40 am, Spiros Bousbouras <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I start a buffer not belonging to any specific filetype. I type some
> > random stuff and then do
> > :highlight Normal ctermfg=green
> > I get green letters. But if instead I do
> > :highlight Normal cterm=bold term=bold
> > I don't get bold text. What am I doing wrong ?
>
> See :help highlight-cterm
>
> Many terminals are unable to mix fg colors and attributes like bold.
> You do not specify what term you are using but possibly it does not
> support this.

I wasn't trying to mix foreground colours and bold , I only want
bold. I guess my last post wasn't clear enough but what I meant was
that I start vim with an unnamed buffer not belonging to any specific
filetype , I type some random stuff and then do

:highlight Normal cterm=bold term=bold

and I don't get bold. I tried it with eterm , xterm and Linux console
and I don't get bold in any of them. But if I don't do

:highlight Normal cterm=bold term=bold

and instead I do

:highlight Normal ctermfg=green

then it works on all 3 of them. I also tried

:syntax match boldtext /.*/
:highlight boldtext term=bold cterm=bold

and I get bold on all 3.

> Have you considered using the GUI (gvim)?

I prefer console vim and it's only there that I want bold (on some
occasions).

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: