Monday, January 2, 2012

Re: Can't write to ntfs file system

Sorry, should have been more emphatic, I have the ntfs-3g driver. Vim
is the *only* app that has a problem writing to this device, all
others do so freely. I have to keep windows to run my printer and tv,
but virtually all the files on this ntfs drive are created in linux.

So the problem is specific to vim. The help has no reference for ntfs
or fat32, but as vim can be used on windows it must be able to write
to these file systems. Or is that a feature only available with the
windows version?

I would much prefer a solution within vim itself, rather than tinker
with my fstab. It took a lot of false starts to get this device to
automount on system start-up, without activating linux's excessive
deference to the pathetic OS, and thus trying to boot from the ntfs
drive.

What I do at the moment is use a mapping that writes such files to my
linux hd, then copies it to the ntfs drive, but I often forget to use
it as I rely on another mapping to close vim down that also saves all
open buffers.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: