Thursday, February 27, 2014

Dumb question: variables in the statusline

(Maybe this will be like last time, where I just had to send the question to the list before I could realize how idiotically wrong I was...)

I have a function which takes ... arguments, and when I try to call it from another function to set the statusline, I basically get:

E121: Undefined variable: a:1
E116: Invalid arguments for function FunctionFromWhichIAmTryingToGetAStatusline(a:1)

So the function getting the error is more or less:

function! SetUpTheStatusline(...)
  setlocal statusline=%!FunctionFromWhichIAmTryingToGetAStatusline(a:1)
endfunction

And that is just getting those two errors.

To be clear, I have verified that there is indeed a:1 in the SetUpTheStatusline() function. I can do (it seems) anything with it -- even use it in the call to FunctionFromWhichIAmTryingToGetAStatusline() -- except for using it in a function called in the statusline.

What am I doing wrong?

--
b

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: