Friday, February 21, 2014

Re: Windows 7 & temporary files

On Friday, February 21, 2014 5:32:39 AM UTC-6, Rich Hims wrote:
> Have recently installed GVIM 7.4 (2013, Aug 10) on a new Windows 7 laptop, and I'm having issues with anything temporary file related, and would really appreciate any suggestions please.
>
> Current situation:
> * Attempting to diff two files will always show them as identical, even when clearly different
> * Shell commands that use temporary files (e.g. :'<,'>!sort or :read !date) report E483 Can't get temp file name
> * Was seeing E810 & E97 until going through the below steps
> I'm assuming the two are related, though I may be wrong. Apologies if that assumption confuses things.
>
> I've done a little reading around, finding a fair few people discussing issues with diff and suggesting changes to the MyDiff function, but I don't think that would be related to E843, so have focused on the other suggestions, namely:
> * setting my TMP & TEMP environment variables
> * including let $TMP="c:\temp" & let $TEMP="c:\temp" in my _vimrc
> * disabling UAC & rebooting
> * setting broad access permissions on the Vim install folder
> * changing the 'Start in' directory of the Vim shortcut icon (to My Documents)
> * Running Vim as Administrator (though my user is in the local computer admin group)
> * including set directory=.,$TMP,$TEMP in my _vimrc
>
> Any further suggestions very gratefully received: I love Vim and use it pretty much constantly for a variety of little tasks, so it's frustrating that I can't work out what's different from my previous setup where these things worked!

For the diff problem, you may have an old diffexpr hanging around with an outdated workaround for stupid cmd.exe quoting rules. Vim's handling of quoting on Windows was improved between 7.3 and 7.4 to work in more situations, but it also breaks some of the old workarounds. Installing a Vim version >= 7.4.103 will have a corrected diffexpr within the _vimrc created by the installer. Or, I pasted it in a superuser answer here: http://superuser.com/questions/697847/cant-run-vimdiff-7-4-on-windows-7

For the temp files problem, as I mention in a reply to your post on the issue tracker, the 'directory' setting ought to have fixed it. If it doesn't, it's possible you were relying on workarounds for issues fixed by the default values of 'shellxquote', etc. Can you see the problems if you launch Vim with "gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE"?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: