Monday, February 24, 2014

Re: errorformat/cexpr bug?

Sorry, I was a bit hasty with my wording. I do understand that the multiignore flag is on the implementation side of things. And I appreciate you tracking down the source of the inconsistency I noticed. I could recompile vim with your change, but at this point, I'm not sure what I would learn because I'm no longer what is *supposed* to be happening.

As much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I have an ever-growing suspicion that the errorformat mechanism is in fact just a pile of ad-hoc hacks without any consistent meaning. And if that's true, it's not a good use of my time to try to sort it out. I'm better off writing a special-purpose tool from scratch.

On Monday, February 24, 2014 2:05:42 PM UTC-8, LCD 47 wrote:
> On 24 February 2014, Aaron Bohannon <aaron678@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply. I find this "multiignore" flag very fishy
>
> > because none of the documentation I have read would imply the
>
> > existence of such a flag. (Why wouldn't "multi" and "ignore" be
>
> > orthogonal notions?)
>
>
>
> The "multiignore" flag I was referring to is a variable in the code,
>
> not something that would make sense for you as an end user.
>
>
>
> > Interestingly, in trying to further reverse-engineer meaning by
>
> > testing behavior, I stumbled on conclusive evidence that something
>
> > here is clearly broken and not simply difficult to understand.
>
> [...]
>
>
>
> Like I said, there's a bug, a successfully matched %-G<mumble> will
>
> prevent subsequent %C<mumble> (and other things) from working. If you
>
> know how to compile Vim yourself, please try the patch I posted in my
>
> previous message. It supposedly fixes the bug, see if things make more
>
> sense after that. Not sure what else I could tell you at this point.
>
>
>
> /lcd

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: