Friday, February 7, 2014

Re: [plugin] targets.vim - adds many text objects in the spirit of Vim, including next and last text objects

On Friday, February 7, 2014 9:51:11 AM UTC+1, Andrew Stewart wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2014, at 22:43, Christian Wellenbrock wrote:
>
> > This is my first Vim plugin and I would appreciate some honest feedback. Let me know what you think! :)
>
> >
>
> > https://github.com/wellle/targets.vim
>
>
>
> Great stuff! I can't believe that's your first Vim plugin.
>
>
>
> In terms of VimL, I don't think you need to save cpoptions in your autoloaded files because you've already done that in plugin/targets.vim – though I'm not 100% certain.
>
>
>
> Anyway, I've wanted for ages what your plugin provides and I'm delighted to use it.
>
>
>
> Regarding the various mailing list threads about text objects: I think the existence of multiple plugins offering new text objects is evidence of demand for Vim to beef up its text objects. They are one of the most useful parts of Vim and enhancing this area would, I think, increase Vim's utility. I know adding features complicates everything but because text objects are so important I feel the benefits outweigh the costs.
>
>
>
> Yours,
>
> Andy Stewart

Thank you for you kind words!

I looked into popular plugins and found that they often saved cpoptions in autoload, so I figured it can't hurt. Also I believe that plugin/targets.vim gets source when Vim starts, while autoload/targets.vim gets sourced only when the first of its text objects is used. So it makes sense to restore cpoptions in both of these cases.

I agree with your attitude about the text object discussions. Because of Vim's grammar both commands and text objects are expressiveness multipliers.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: