Thursday, February 13, 2014

Re: Text Editing on an Infinite Plane (A Project)

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:46:23 PM UTC-5, marttt wrote:
> teisipäev, 26. november 2013 8:07.21 UTC+2 kirjutas Liang Li:
>
> > Hey guys!
>
> >
>
> > Here is a project I've been working on that's nearing completing. Check out the demo at:
>
> >
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_het11TBo
>
> >
>
> > It tries to provide a new paradigm for writing massive amounts of prose by simulating an infinite plane via "panning" splits. Tell me what you think!
>
> >
>
> > Thanks,
>
> >
>
> > Liang
>
>
>
> Thanks very much for sharing this. I find it very-very interesting.
>
>
>
> I only know the basics of Vimscript, but I hacked together a few functions to implement "Niklas Luhmann's Zettelkasten" in Vim (not my blog, but see here about the method: http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2007/12/luhmanns-zettelkasten.html). I instantly thought how much easier a "luhmannian" way of note taking would be with your plugin. Must try it, right away.
>
>
>
> Thanks again, this is a project I'm definitely going to follow.
>
> Mart

Awesome! I'm glad you get it. The system you linked to is very much like mine in the sense that, despite his numbering scheme, it is actually mostly organized by time. Ie, it is a linear numbering scheme and not one based on content. This is why hierarchical note-taking schemes fall apart so quickly, I believe -- categories are very ephemeral in the life of thinking. Raw temporally organized accumulation, and ease of forking, are certainly necessary elements in a robust note-taking system I believe.

The index card paradigm is actually how I originally imagined the plane. I split the plane into 'big grids', and each big grid consisting of 3 splits and 45 lines, would be a card. Also, originally, each label on the map was confined to a cell to emphaizes the unity of that card. Lately, however, I've been thinking of moving away from an explicit card system towards a more loose positional system, where the map would just sort of designate a particular region.

The other problem is realigning the map when you edit a portion from before, which pushes the later text out of sync. Having some sort of automated realignment is definitely on the todo list.

Thanks again for your interest!

Liang

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: