Friday, August 19, 2016

Re: Annoying "smart" indentation

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 4:45:16 PM UTC-4, otajuun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using vim for ages, and always carry my vimrc file around from system to system and through reinstalls. Since my last reinstall (arch linux, with gvim 7.4.2143-1) indentation has been acting up. Not sure if it's a change within vim itself, or applied by arch linux, but I now have automatic addition of tabs. For instance, when typing:
>
> void test() <ENTER>
>
> After the enter, vim will insert a new tab, which it never did before.
> My vimrc looks like this:
>
> :set nocompatible
> :syntax on
> :set nu
> :set iminsert=0
> :set imdisable
> :set noswf
> :set ts=4
> :set shiftwidth=4
> :set autoindent
> :set bs=2
>
> As per the documentation, I tried adding "filetype indent off" at the end, to no effect. I can turn off that annoying "feature" on a per-file basis by doing:
>
> :set indentexpr=
>
> But I have to do it for every single file I open, which is beyond annoying.
>
> Would there be a way to make this global? I tried adding the line to vimrc, but it has no effect.
>
> Thank you,
> Jonathan

I was able to stop this behaviour by modifying /usr/share/vim/vim74, which had:
filetype plugin indent on

I took off the "indent" part and now it's working as before.

I'm still wondering if there would be a cleaner way to make it behave as before, instead of changing the global data files.

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: