Thursday, August 26, 2010

Re: WIN7 Can not set vim 7.3 as default program

On Aug 26, 3:52 pm, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yschandra wrote:
> > Right click on the file lets take example 1.C and select open
> > with, in the pop opened window GVIM is not present as an app
> > for so select Browse button and navigate to gvim.exe and
> > select it and press ok, now GVIM should come in list
> > applications to handle this file type then when press OK
> > (always use this program for this file should be
> > selected) it open in gvim from then onwards for .C files. In
> > this particulate case when I select gvim.exe it does not come
> > in the list of application so gvim not been able to set as
> > default app for that file type.
>
> Sorry, but I do not know what happens when Vim is installed on
> Windows. You seemed confident that you used to have file
> associations, so I assumed it was from when you installed
> Vim 7.2, and I rather assumed that the installation of Vim 7.3
> would be the same.
>
> However, the message from Ben Fritz in this thread says that the
> install of standard Vim does *not* configure the registry for
> file associations. I use Vim on Windows, but I do not use
> Windows Explorer and have no need of file associations, so I
> have never paid attention.
>
> At any rate, it looks like you either used someone's
> non-standard Vim 7.2 install, and it provided file associations
> during the install, or, you applied one of the techniques
> described in the tip I mentioned (commands ftype/assoc or edit
> registry) for your 7.2 setup, and forgot that you did it. I
> suggest trying the tip.
>
> John

Hi,

I do not think VIM provide file associations when installing. In
windows you choose any application for a particular file type by the
process I have described. Once do that it will create a file
association, which is what not working with 7.3. I download VIM only
from www.vim.org.

regards,
Subhash

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: