Thursday, August 26, 2010

RE: WIN7 Can not set vim 7.3 as default program

yschandra wrote:
> Right click on the file lets take example 1.C and select open
> with, in the pop opened window GVIM is not present as an app
> for so select Browse button and navigate to gvim.exe and
> select it and press ok, now GVIM should come in list
> applications to handle this file type then when press OK
> (always use this program for this file should be
> selected) it open in gvim from then onwards for .C files. In
> this particulate case when I select gvim.exe it does not come
> in the list of application so gvim not been able to set as
> default app for that file type.

Sorry, but I do not know what happens when Vim is installed on
Windows. You seemed confident that you used to have file
associations, so I assumed it was from when you installed
Vim 7.2, and I rather assumed that the installation of Vim 7.3
would be the same.

However, the message from Ben Fritz in this thread says that the
install of standard Vim does *not* configure the registry for
file associations. I use Vim on Windows, but I do not use
Windows Explorer and have no need of file associations, so I
have never paid attention.

At any rate, it looks like you either used someone's
non-standard Vim 7.2 install, and it provided file associations
during the install, or, you applied one of the techniques
described in the tip I mentioned (commands ftype/assoc or edit
registry) for your 7.2 setup, and forgot that you did it. I
suggest trying the tip.

John

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: