Friday, January 28, 2011

Re: Typing numbers

> I concur that prefixing Vim normal mode commands with a count, such as
> '7dw' to delete the next seven words is ineffective.. Something like
> 'dw....' where you delete the next word (dw) and repeat the last command
> (.) a number of times is the way I normally do it because I don't have
> to count the words before I even start deleting. While I hit the dot (.)
> repeatedly, I can see what I'm deleting and I know when to stop.. And
> I can always hit 'u' for undo to bring back the words I deleted one at
> a time in the event I got carried away.

This breaks when using t/T with ";" to repeat the motion as it
just finds the same one you just found. I have to break down and
count for those :)

> Come to think of it, the only pratical use I have for counts is when
> I need something like a line of dashes:
>
> i -<Esc> x 80p
>
> IOW - i for insert mode, one dash,<Esc> back to normal mode, 'x' to
> delete the dash and yank it to the unnamed register, and finally 80p to
> create a line of eighty dashes..

I just use

80I-<esc>

to save the cut/yank :)

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: