Friday, January 28, 2011

Re: Typing numbers

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:18:46AM EST, adroid28 wrote:
>
> Hi all :)
>
> I am fairly new in vim and also my touch typing is not that great.
> Although I can deal very well with all the vim commands I found my self
> always looking down when I need to write a number argument. I was
> wondering wether there is a way in vim to input numbers without leaving
> the home row. Or is it that with time I will be able to reach the numbers
> row without looking?

If you think you can benefit by others' mistakes you may find some notes
& practical advice re: typing numbers is this famous Q&A:

http://www.diniwed.net/typing.html

I concur that prefixing Vim normal mode commands with a count, such as
'7dw' to delete the next seven words is ineffective.. Something like
'dw....' where you delete the next word (dw) and repeat the last command
(.) a number of times is the way I normally do it because I don't have
to count the words before I even start deleting. While I hit the dot (.)
repeatedly, I can see what I'm deleting and I know when to stop.. And
I can always hit 'u' for undo to bring back the words I deleted one at
a time in the event I got carried away.

Come to think of it, the only pratical use I have for counts is when
I need something like a line of dashes:

i - <Esc> x 80p

IOW - i for insert mode, one dash, <Esc> back to normal mode, 'x' to
delete the dash and yank it to the unnamed register, and finally 80p to
create a line of eighty dashes..

cj

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: