Monday, June 27, 2011

Re: I have line numbering but want to have a background margin to set the numbers on

On 06/27/2011 03:58 AM, lostmenuts wrote:
> I would like to have line numbers displayed on a margin that has a
> different colour to the rest of the document to make it stand out and
> look nicer, how can I do that?
> At the moment I can have a coloured colum (set foldcolumn=2)
> OR line numbering but I cant seem to combine them so that the numbers
> appear on top of the coloured column.

The two are distinct things: the 'foldcolumn' houses the
indication of folds while the line-number is, well, the line
number. You can have neither, both, one, or the other. The
colors can be tweaked independently by adjusting the highlighting
for "LineNr" and "FoldColumn" respectively.

:help hl-LineNr
:help hl-FoldColumn

It sounds like you want to tweak how line-numbers are colored,
something like:

:hi LineNr term=underline cterm=bold ctermfg=Yellow ctermbg=Blue
guifg=Yellow guibg=Blue

adjusting the background ("bg") for your own color preferences.
If you have your own color-scheme (I copied to
~/.vim/colors/timchase.vim & tweaked "elflord" to fit my personal
tastes; activating in my vimrc with "colorscheme timchase"), you
can just add that in there.

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: