Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Re: newbie put question

(reordering to interleaved reply, the preferred quoting style on
the vim mailing list, as noted in the footer added by the list)

>> Ctrl-R enter a sub-mode expecting the register-name
>> following it, so if you want the system-clipboard, you'd
>> want to use control+R followed by "+".
>
> Ahh, that did it! Thanks.

Glad it worked the way you want.

> As an aside, for us newbies, would you recommend this to put
> yanked content vs p or P?

I use both since they do different things: when I want to paste
linewise content linewise or paste characterwise content
characterwise, I just use p/P (or gP, but usually only in
vimgolf) in Normal mode. If I want to paste linewise content in
a characterwise way as you initially requested, I use i_CTRL-R
(and often curse when I forget about the paste/indentation
settings, and it ends up stair-stepping; then undo and use one of
the other sub-sub-modes as documented in my initial reply after
re-consulting the help to see which one I wanted).

-tim


--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: