Saturday, June 4, 2011

Re: Trying to escape tab in exe

On 05/06/11 02:26, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechelynck@gmail.com> [110604 16:09]:
>>> vim opens a new file
>>> /home/tim/prj/cgi/baker/xmlimport/controllers/<Tab>
>>> grrr!
>>> So how do I escape the Tab?
>>> I've tried
>>
>> IIRC, the relevant setting is 'wildcharm' (q.v.).
> Thank you for the reply Tony.
> I did the following:
> set wildcharm=<Tab>
> " in the same file as the code I have included.
> " sourced the file again, but I still have the
> " problem.
> My brain has still not grokked this problem. I've even tried (from
> the example in the helpfile):
> set wildcharm=<C-Z>
> " with code changes to
> execute 'e ' a:dir . '/\<C-Z>'
> " or
> execute 'e ' a:dir . '/<C-Z>'
> and<blush> I get a file name<C-Z>.
> Not what I want - obviously.
> thanks again

Ah, sorry, I missed that thing about escaping the tab.

See
:help expr-string
:help literal-string

Within single quotes, every character is taken literally, even a
backslash, except that two single quotes mean one.

You should have used double quotes with backslash-escaping, like this
(referring to your original post):

exec 'e' a:dir . "/\t"
or
execute 'e ' . a.dir . "/\<Tab>"


HTH,
Tony.
--
THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #13: SLOBOL

SLOBOL is best known for the speed, or lack of it, of its compiler.
Although many compilers allow you to take a coffee break while they
compile, SLOBOL compilers allow you to travel to Bolivia to pick the
coffee. Forty-three programmers are known to have died of boredom
sitting at their terminals while waiting for a SLOBOL program to
compile. Weary SLOBOL programmers often turn to a related (but
infinitely faster) language, COCAINE.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: