Thursday, September 30, 2010

Escape print sequences

Hi,
So this is my latest attempt at trying to get copy and paste
working in vim. When I'm using cygwin on my local machine, no problem,
I can pipe the text to copy to the clipboard. If I can get xclip
installed, I can do the same thing on a Linux box. The problem however
is when I ssh into a machine where I don't have the ability to install
xclip or xsel.
There's a patch for putty which allows you to echo text to the
printer, which is hooked up to the Windows clipboard. It works fine
from a bash console, but within vim, the echo doesn't seem to work
correctly:
http://ericmason.net/2010/04/putty-ssh-windows-clipboard-integration/
How does vim handle escaped print sequences? Is there anyway to
configure it so that when an echo command is executed it sends it to
the 'printer'? When I called the function in the link shown above from
within vim, vim just output ^[ instead of the escape sequence.
It's really nice to be able to take advantage of vim's built-in
method of selection in visual mode, and sometimes the graphical
selection just isn't good enough (say the text to copy is more than
what fits on the screen) If I could just figure out how to get copy
and paste working from the machine I'm ssh'ed into to my local
machine's clipboard, I hopefully won't have to spend any more time
trying to figure out how to copy text from Vim elsewhere.

Thanks,
Ven

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: