Monday, September 27, 2010

Re: copy & paste problem in vim 7.3

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010, Henry Hertz Hobbit <hhhobbit@securemecca.com> wrote:

> On 09/25/2010 07:27 AM, Hussain wrote:
>
>> But I am forced to use `lesstif'. The reason is that I use Farsi in vim
>> and this requires to compile `vim 7.3' with the `+farsi' feature, i.e.
>> I compile vim with:
>> "--enable-gui=motif --with-x --with-features=huge ..."
>> To start vim in `Farsi' mode, as mentioned in vim help, I invoke the
>> following command (in KDE 4.2.4):
>> env LANG=POSIX LC_ALL=POSIX vim -g -fn far-a01 -F "+set fk".
>>
>> PS: If I compile with "--enable-gui=gtk2" (the default) then when I press
>> a key, instead of the Farsi character, only a rectangular box is displayed
>> on the vim window. Even in English mode, an extra space is displayed
>> between
>> adjacent characters if I use the above font. The same happens even if use
>> fixed font `10x20' with the command:
>> env LANG=POSIX LC_ALL=POSIX vim -g -fn 10x20
>>
>> Also, please note that in `vim 7.1' if I use "--enable-gui=gtk"
>> everything works fine (with the same KDE), but in `vim 7.3'
>> `--enable-gui=gtk' is not supported.
>
> I am getting a clearer picture now. Much of what you are doing is
> to build your own Farsi support since it isn't available off the
> shelf. Is this correct?

farsi feature is included in vim itself. I am just trying to use it. To
enable this feature one has to compile vim with `--with-features=huge'.
`:help farsi' gives more information on farsi support in vim.

> But you also want to keep using KDE. Me?
> Like I said - I am not religious on GUIs but I prefer those that
> make me more productive. Having Gnome's choice of activating a
> Windows when I cursor over it makes the Microsoft Windows XP GUI
> a real pain.

KDE is the default desktop in slackware. If one wants to use Gnome, then
he has to download its SlackBuild and install it himself.

> Did anybody else answer (in the forum)?

No. Nobody else has answerd yet.

> The only reason I replied is
> I didn't see any response but I am only subscribed to the digest.

Many thanks for your concern.

> Does everything else work?

Yes, all other things work fine except that (untill now) I cannot copy
from vim window and paste it to an xterm and that the icons in toolbar
menu is cut off.

> By that I mean does Farsi show up in
> say emacs for example?

To use Farsi in vim one has to install the corresponding fonts included
in vim. These fonts are $VIM/farsi/fonts/far-a01.{pcf,f16} and cannot be
used in emacs or otherwise I don't know how to use them in emacs.

> What was throwing me was when you said part of your icons were cut
> off. I think I understand why they dropped the gtk support out of
> vim. You can probably still use the --enable-gui-gtk with lesstif
> but not with Qt any more. But now the problem has stretched outside
> my knowledge base. I suggest you repost and also cross post to the
> developers forum with this information:
>
> - slackware 13.1 (depending on my memory)
> (needed to build your own support for Farsi)
> - lesstif 0.95.2 (depending on my memory)
> (also needed to build your own support for Farsi)
> - KDE 4.?
> (sorry, deleted your message that showed version)
> - information that vim 7.1 works because you can build with
> --enable-gui-gtk but the flag is not available with
> the build for vim 7.3.
> - Is Farsi supported in vim 7.3 on Gnome / GTk?
> - add any more information you feel is relevant
>
> Developer forum:
>
> http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
> (see the vim-dev@vim.org section)
>

I will try that too.

> I can give you what I have so you can go from there:
>
> Ubuntu 10.04
> Gnome
> Vim 7.2.330
> Arabic ok
> no Farsi on menu
>
> OpenSuse 11.2
> Gnome
> Vim 7.2.256
> Arabic ok
> no Farsi on menu
>
> The only reason I mention Arabic is that is the closest I can get to
> Perso-Arabic. I think your fastest solution is to first try backing
> up to vim 7.1 since that is working for you. If you have another
> machine you can toy around with building Gnome on top of slackware
> and going from there. Gnome DOES have support for Farsi and since
> it is build using Gtk I suspect you won't have you will have things
> cut out from underneath you.
>
> http://www.farsiweb.ir/wiki/Main/GNOME
>
> But only the Developers forum can give you definitive answers for the
> vim question. I did notice that Gnome has far better language support
> than KDE. If the issue is also that you want to continue using KDE
> you may be at the end of the cycle. When termcap disappeared I had
> to say goodbye to this little race-horse editor named MicroEMACS.
> Boy do I miss that editor. My macros in vim are 5x slower than they
> were in MicroEMACS. EMACS macros are 20x slower than they were in
> MicroEMACS.

I think I have to install Gnome and give it a try.

Once again thank you very much for your help.

Yours - Hussain

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: