Thursday, September 30, 2010

Re: vim and encryption

Am 25.08.2010 14:30, schrieb Tobias Klausmann:
> Hey,
>
> I was really happy to read that newer Vims (i.e. 7.3) include
> Blowfish encryption, which is markedly more secure than what vim
> used to use (the pkzip thing).
>
> I'd like to use vim to keep an encrypted file of sensitive data.
> I'm aware of the implications of keyloggers, exchanged binaries
> and the fact that my text file is still unencrypted in memory
> (and may even go to disk if it's large enough to be swapped).
>
> All that said, I'd still like to use it this way. What I have
> been unable to accomplish is keeping vim from writing a viminfo
> file.

Not mentioned yet: you can start vim with argument "-i NONE".
:h -i

For example, I use it when starting a clean vim:
gvim.exe -N -u NONE -i NONE
This way the history in the viminfo file is not cut to the default
number of entries.

--
Andy

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: