Sunday, September 26, 2010

Re: 答复: Why Vimball archives are evil?

Hi panshizhu!

[fixing quotation]

On So, 26 Sep 2010, panshizhu@routon.com wrote:
> vim_use@googlegroups.com Christian Brabandt 2010-09-25 19:44:03:
> > > I ask you; What is wrong with tar.gz?
> >
> > It is not easily extractable on Windows, if you don't have any extra
> > archiver installed. And this is not always possible to install them. So
> > I release my plugins as .vba.
>
> Does Vim come with Windows? No, you need to download and install it.

Do you mean, I always have to install an archiver besides Vim, just
because I want to use plugins with Vim?

Do you mean, I need to research, which archivers I can use without
installing them (because I cannot install any application on a job PC?)

>
> So you could also download and install 7-zip for Windows.

Can I install it in my %HOME% path? I don't know.

> 7-zip is a free software which decompresses almost all common archives in
> windows, like .rar, .zip, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, etc...

good to know. On systems, where I am administrator, I like to install
Cygwin, but even there installint any extra applications is awkward,
cause I tend to forget one or the other.

> > Plus, anybody that is not familiar with vim, might not know where to
> > extract these archives. Vimball takes care of that for you.
>
> AFAIK, anybody that does not familiar with vim will not be familiar with
> vimball archive too.
>
> I've had 20 collegues in my office who uses vim and none of them knows the
> existence of vimball archive.

Yeah, but they don't need to what vimballs are. They simply open the
file with Vim and source the file. Vim even tell's you to source the
file to install it. It just works™
That is how I like it.

>
> > I would even ask, what's wrong with .vba?
>
> because .vba file is usually considered virus in windows, it would be MUCH
> better change it to another extension.

I use vba files a lot on Windows, since I developed several plugins. I
have never had any problem with a anti-virus program. They are using
signatures when scanning files and don't consider files as malicious
because of a silly extension.

I would only use zip or other archives, only if I had to distribute some
binary files with my plugins.

regards,
Christian
--
Wer gar zu viel bedenkt, wird wenig leisten.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: