Thursday, January 27, 2011

Re: Vim path not working for me (On ".")

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:18:36AM +0100, Jürgen Krämer wrote:
>
> in the 'path' option '.' is not a placeholder for the current directory,
> but for the directory of the current file. You can see the current
> directory by executing :cwd in Vim.

Oooooh, thank you for drilling that through my skull. It never occurred
to me that vim would discard 40 years of unix tradition [1], and hijack
'.' for another purpose!

Perhaps ":h path" does now provide a prominent warning that '.' != '.',
in current vim versions. I'll have to check.

I'll make a note in my "schlaues Buch", to help my aging brain cope. ;-)

Thanks again.

Erik

[1] I've only been using it exclusively for around 25, I'll admit.

--
Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but
coaxed down-stairs a step at a time.
-- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: