Wednesday, September 8, 2010

copy vim text through screen windows

Hi,
   I use vim 7.1  with GNU screen by connecting to a development server through putty. I am not able to copy vim text from one screen window and paste it on the other. My vim is compiled with +xterm_clipboard and i have done :set clipboard=unnamed. However i cannot access the + or the * register from vim (when it runs on terminal mode). I want to know if there is a way that i can move texts by accessing the registers.
   One easy way is if i can make sure that vim accesses the same viminfo registers everywhere. So that in one vim i can copy it a register ( say "a) and then i can go to the next screen and do "ap.  Is there anyway that can be accomplished?
   Or another thing i can do is write the contents of a register "0 to a dummy file whenever i want to move the contents across windows and read whenever I so desire . So I can do ,y and it maps to writing the contents of register 0 to a file. However i was not able to find a way to write a register contents to a file. Any help on this is appreciated.
    The third thing is to somehow access registers + and * from the terminal vim. I couldnt make this to work.
    I saw the yankring plugin. But I felt it was a bit of a overkill considering my needs. 
    I know i am overlooking something simple but i cannot figure out what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Moses

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: