Saturday, September 25, 2010

Re: copy & paste problem in vim 7.3

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Henry Hertz Hobbit <hhhobbit@securemecca.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2010 06:29 PM, Hussain wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>
> OHHH!
>
> Now that I have heard more I think you have a KDE moving on
> with Qt and KDE diverging away from lesstif problem, not a
> problem with vim / givm.
>
> I don't remember when ^C, ^V was added. I don't think it is in
> Motif or clones. I think it is only in Qt and GTk instead.
> After hearing more I don't think the problem is in how you
> compiled vim. It sounds like there is now some sort of mismatch
> between KDE 4.2.4 and lesstif. I am pretty sure KDE abandoned
> lesstif in favor of Qt a long time ago (in Linux parlance,
> ANYTHING over two years is a long time). Let me see what KDE
> 4.2.4 needs first ... first lets search for the references
> on lesstif at KDE.org:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Special:Search?search=lesstif&fulltext=Search
>
> I don't think they used lesstif after KDE 3.3 as you can see from the
> search. You may have been able to get away with it until now but
> I think the umbilical cords between Gnome <-> GTk and KDE <-> Qt are
> pretty strong now. It is quite likely you were able to use lesstif
> until now and finally Qt diverged too far away from lesstif and KDE
> went with Qt and left lesstif behind. So finally what used to work
> finally got at least partially broken. Here is the starter for KDE:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4
>
> Look at the compiling "kde-qt etc." section. Here is the generic page
> requirements:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Generic
>
> top level:
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.2.4.php
>
> As you can see almost all other KDE people have shifted to
> Qt instead. Me? I just take what ever they provide in a
> distro.

But I am forced to use `lesstif'. The reason is that I use Farsi in vim
and this requires to compile `vim 7.3' with the `+farsi' feature, i.e.
I compile vim with:
"--enable-gui=motif --with-x --with-features=huge ..."
To start vim in `Farsi' mode, as mentioned in vim help, I invoke the
following command (in KDE 4.2.4):
env LANG=POSIX LC_ALL=POSIX vim -g -fn far-a01 -F "+set fk".

PS: If I compile with "--enable-gui=gtk2" (the default) then when I press
a key, instead of the Farsi character, only a rectangular box is displayed
on the vim window. Even in English mode, an extra space is displayed between
adjacent characters if I use the above font. The same happens even if use
fixed font `10x20' with the command:
env LANG=POSIX LC_ALL=POSIX vim -g -fn 10x20

Also, please note that in `vim 7.1' if I use "--enable-gui=gtk"
everything works fine (with the same KDE), but in `vim 7.3'
`--enable-gui=gtk' is not supported.

Thanks - Hussain

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: