Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Re: copy vim text through screen windows

On 2010-09-09, Moses N wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM, David Fishburn <dfishburn.vim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/8/2010 7:19 AM, Moses N wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I use vim 7.1 with GNU screen by connecting to a development server
> through putty. I am not able to copy vim text from one screen window
> and paste it on the other. My vim is compiled with +xterm_clipboard and
> i have done :set clipboard=unnamed. However i cannot access the + or
> the * register from vim (when it runs on terminal mode). I want to know
> if there is a way that i can move texts by accessing the registers.
> One easy way is if i can make sure that vim accesses the same
> viminfo registers everywhere. So that in one vim i can copy it a
> register ( say "a) and then i can go to the next screen and do "ap. Is
> there anyway that can be accomplished?
> Or another thing i can do is write the contents of a register "0 to
> a dummy file whenever i want to move the contents across windows and
> read whenever I so desire . So I can do ,y and it maps to writing the
> contents of register 0 to a file. However i was not able to find a way
> to write a register contents to a file. Any help on this is
> appreciated.
> The third thing is to somehow access registers + and * from the
> terminal vim. I couldnt make this to work.
> I saw the yankring plugin. But I felt it was a bit of a overkill
> considering my needs.
>
>
> There are a couple ways to address this.
>
> You may want to consider my plugin:
>
> YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes
> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1234
>
> Which has specific support for:
> Storing the capture text in a file allows the text to be shared easily
> between multiple instances of Vim running in X, Windows, SSH or Screen.

> Hi Dave,
> Thanks for that tip. Is is possible to the get just the code snippet that
> will help me copy the register contents to a file?
> Another thing I would like to know is doesn't vim inherently support this?
> Is this not what +xterm_clipboard was supposed to do? Why then is it not
> working for me?

I believe Vim's +xterm_clipboard feature works only if Vim can
contact an X server. You're not using an X server.

Regards,
Gary

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: