Monday, September 6, 2010

Re: Getting buffers positions, improving viewports layout

* Pablo Giménez <pablogipi@gmail.com> [2010-09-06 18:49]:
> I am trying to get a better layout for the several viewoports I
> use when developing. I usually have my files in a central buffer
> and then two vertical buffers, one on the left with NERDTree and
> another at the right with TagList. I have other plugins I want to
> setup to be opened below the central coding buffer or below one
> buffers at the sides. I mean I want to setup a plugin that splits
> in a new window to be opened ina a new buffer splitted from the
> TagList buffer for instance, so it needs to be at the right and
> below. Problem is that when doing a vertical split the new buffer
> is created in between the central buffer and the at the edge, in
> this case the TagList window, rather than spliting the right side
> window and create it there. I don't know if it is clear enough,
> I have attached a couple of images to show what I want to get.

here are the screenhots for reference:

http://www.guckes.net/tmp/pablo_gimenez.bad_Layout.jpg 1598x1146 124015 bytes
http://www.guckes.net/tmp/pablo_gimenez.goodLayout.jpg 1598x1146 137608 bytes

mind you, i will remove these pictures from my website later.
it's up to pablo to find a good place if he wants
to document the problem - and hopefully a solution.

the rest of Pablo's text:

> I have tried several combinations of leftabove, rightbelow,
> topleft, botright, etc .... Didn't get it working properly.
> So I don't know if it would be better to analise the
> current layout and then do all the job manually.
>
> For instance ask vim what is the viewport at the right side, if there
> is one, then split it and change the new buffer to what you want.
> But it is possible to get this info from VIM, I don't know any command
> which tell what is the buffer most at the right, or at the top, etc
> ...
> On the other hand, it could be the case where I am not
> using leftabove, rightbelow, etc ... command properly.
> Any ideas??? Thanks

looks like you are suffering from the idea to use
an editor's window as a tiling window manager.
think again.

Sven

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: