Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Re: to or till (f or t) a non-ascii character

> A related but different issue is getting those characters into the command
> line buffer, for example if I want to search for a a string containing
> Unicode characters. My abbreviations won't work in that buffer... is there a
> way to get them to work? Or what about yanking/putting text between the main
> buffer and the command buffer?

One way to insert that character in the command line is to
do it the same way one does in the buffer: hold down Ctrl,
press v, then type u21d2

You can see the hex values of the characters you're using
with the normal command ga.

How did you insert the characters in your files to begin
with? By copy and paste? You can do the same for the
command line; in gvim on Windows I select text, right
click, choose copy in the popup menu, then in the command line hit
shift-insert to paste.

Or to avoid the mouse, yank the text to the + register.
With the cursor on the character you want, hit "+yl or v"+y
(perhaps there's a way to do that with fewer keystrokes,
but I don't know how.) Once it's in the + register you can
paste it into the command line (or anywhere else, if
you're using Windows) with shift-insert.

I can't help you with the first part of your question; I
do know one disappointing thing about many of these
unicode characters: some kinds of searches, for example
with the "*" character won't work on them; that is, if you
have "=> sometext", and try to do an "asterisk search" on the
"=>", "sometext" will be highlighted instead. I don't know
if there's a work around for that. It's really annoying,
because I'd like to be able to quickly jump to different
parts of a file marked with various unicode bullets and
other characters. In your case, perhaps the work around
for the "t" and "f" commands would be a mapping for an
ordinary search? Perhaps :map \t /=><Cr>

I'm in over my head, so others I hope will have better advise.

Cheers
BC

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: