Friday, September 3, 2010

Re: Vim for code navigation

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 09:35 -0700, vtadipatri wrote:
> I really want to learn to use vi for navigating through code files.
> But I'm running into a couple of issues:
> To jump to a tag I think I should use ctrl+], but if I've changed
> the file it keeps prompting me that I need to use ! to override. I
> know
> I can use '!' for one of the colon commands. How do I do it for ctrl
> +]?
> Also, I don't want it to blindly jump to the code - if there are
> multiple
> matches i want to choose where to go.
> I tried using :ts and :ta but it seems like that's not what I
> want
> either since it jumps to what's already on the stack. Maybe I need to
> make a vi shortcut to push the function I want to go to onto the
> stack,
> close the new buffer so the tag is still on the stack, then jump to
> the
> tag that's at the top of the stack? And also when I close one buffer
> (with :bd), it doesn't seem to go back to the position on the line I
> last left off on, so maybe I need to make a mark before jumping to
> the
> function, so I can get back to it? This seems really cumbersome, and
> I'm sure navigating through functions is easier than that.
> Again, the difficulty is that I want to step into a function
> without
> writing the file that I'm on. I could probably open it with ctrl+w,
> then
> maximize it. Then when I want to get back, I can just close the
> window
> instead of popping it off the stack. If I open the function in a new
> window with ctrl+w, then hitting ctrl+t on the code I jumped to
> results
> in the same code appearing in 2 windows, top and bottom.
>
> Thanks,
> Ven
>

investigate using cscope with [g]vim.

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: