Saturday, September 25, 2010

Re: Why Vimball archives are evil?

Hi Marc!

On Sa, 25 Sep 2010, Marc Weber wrote:

> > I am not sure I understand. IIRC, vimball needs an external archiving
> > tool to extract tar.gz files. And there are no on Windows XP. But
> > vimballs can easily be extracted, as the vimball plugin is distributed
> > with vim.
>
> Not all vimballs are compressed. Eg narrow_region.vba is not.

I know. I created it that way exactly for that reason, that I can
install it on my job's system without requiring an external archiver ;)

> So maybe only vba.gz files are hard to install for Windows users.

Yes.

>
> But this doesn't change the facts:
> - we could easily fix it (mirroring)
> - but we should only do so if Windows users say they are interested

True.

>
> But no Windows users did say that (about themselves) yet, did they?

No. Well, I did, kind of ;) There used to be a time, when I couldn't
extract gzipped files on Windows (XP). But I don't have XP anymore.

> So you should talk about .vba.gz explicitly then.

True.

regards,
Christian

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: