Sunday, August 30, 2009

Re: Starting vim :help full screen

> When I type ":help" on an empty vim screen - such as a new tab for
> instance, vim automatically splits the screen.
>
> I proceed to issue a Ctrl-W O to remove the empty half screen, no big deal.
>
> Is there any "native" way I could start vim's help full-screen - without
> coding a macro and mapping it to a key combo - I don't think it's worth
> bloating my interface further for something this trivial.

A couple options occur to me -- two prefix options, and one
post-processing idea:

To open the help in its own tab:

:tab help some_topic_to_find

To open the help in the current non-modified empty buffer:

:set bt=help | help some_topic_to_find

Finally, one could create an autocmd for help-type files (my
autocmd creation is a bit rusty, so you'd have to experiment on
your own, or somebody else may step in) that forces an ":only" on
the help window (though it might grouse at you if there are
modifications in the to-be-closed windows).

-tim


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: